Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince & Princess Contest
The Minnesota 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess Contest at the Minnesota State Fair is an exciting opportunity for 4-H youth to be recognized for their poultry knowledge, experience, leadership and confidence.
Congratulations to the current Poultry Prince and Princess Isaac Dubois and Eleanor Weckworth, who won the 2018 Poultry Prince and Princess contest. After another great year, we are excited for the 2018 program.
To be an eligible contestant of the Poultry Prince and Princess Contest, you must:
- Participate in the 4-H poultry interview/quiz/showmanship at the 2018 Minnesota State Fair.
- Participate in the 4-H Chicken BBQ Contest at the 2018 Minnesota State Fair.
- Have completed at least 9th grade by the start of the 2018 Minnesota State Fair.*
* Note: contestants are not eligible during the 13th grade in 4-H. Poultry Prince and Princess duties occur during the next 4-H year, which is why those in their final 4-H year are not eligible.
We invite all Minnesota 4-H Poultry Project members to participate in the 9th annual Poultry Prince and Princess Contest. This is a scholarship program sponsored by Minnesota 4-H and Gold'n Plump.
Join this contest for the chance to:
- Earn a $1,000 scholarship.
- Serve as the official Poultry Prince or Princess Ambassador.
- Develop networking and presentation skills.
- Gain exposure through media opportunities.
- Receive event photos and video.
- Pose for and receive a commemorative painted portrait by the official state fair artist.
Poultry project members who qualify for a state fair trip in 2019 - watch for updated information in summer of 2019!
2018 contest is complete, hope to see you summer of 2019.
You will complete an online application. If you do not have access to the internet, you can use a computer at your local Extension office (call first for an appointment) or complete it at the Minnesota State Fair.
If you choose to wait until you arrive at the state fair, there will be four computers available for your use in the back of the livestock publicity trailer, between the large cattle barn and orange annex (across from wash racks). You will be allowed 30 minutes to complete your application online, so we encourage you to apply before the fair starts or come prepared with your answers.
The application will ask questions about your 4-H activities and why you are interested in competing in the Poultry Prince and Princess Contest. Each response carries a maximum of 75 words (characters beyond this limit will be deleted). This assures continuity in all applications.
Complete the 2018 entry questionnaire - Before you submit your application, be sure to print a copy (use your browser's print feature) for your records.
- Thursday, Aug. 23: Round 1 - 4-H poultry interview/quiz/showmanship
- Friday, Aug. 24: Optional poultry judging contest
- Saturday, Aug. 25: Round 2 - Chicken BBQ Contest, East side of the Coliseum (Clough St. & Judson Ave.)
- Sunday, Aug. 26: Round 3 - 4-H Q&A stage presence, Sheep & poultry barn
On Saturday, Aug. 25, the top three male and female contestants from the first two categories will be invited back to compete in the Aug. 26 stage presence Q&A. The 9th annual 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess will be crowned immediately following the third round.